How to Apply

This page explains how to apply for admission to the Astronomy Program. If you instead intend to apply to the Physics Program, you should start at their website. Our Application deadline for the Fall 2017 semester is January 10, 2017. The Astronomy Program does not offer Spring admission.

Part of your application should be sent to the Astronomy Program, and another part should be sent to the University’s Admissions Office.

To the Astronomy Program:

This section describes the materials we need to begin evaluating your application; this information should be sent to us directly.

  • Astronomy Program Supplemental Information Form – Fill out and submit the online form.
  • Personal Statement – Describe your experience, your interests, your goals, your achievements (not necessarily academic), and any other information you think might be relevant to your application.
  • GRE General and Physics Scores – Please arrange to have your scores sent to the Astronomy Program (department code = 0801) at the University of Hawaii, Manoa (institution code = 4867). You should also report your GRE scores on our Supplemental Information Form; if you receive your scores after sending the form, email them directly to us. We will accept scores from exams taken within the last 2 years.
  • Recommendations – All recommendations must be submitted online. Please send this link to your letter writers as they are not automatically informed via your application.

The mailing address for all correspondence is:

Institute for Astronomy
Astronomy Graduate Admissions
2680 Woodlawn Drive
Honolulu, HI  96822, USA

If you have any questions, want to report GRE scores, or need paper copies of the application forms, please contact the Graduate Chair, Dr. Jonathan Williams, via email at grad-chair AT or by calling (808) 956-8355.

To the Admissions Office:

Links to instructions for completing this part of your application, as well as to the forms themselves, are available on the Office of Graduate Education: Forms page. You should read the instructions and fill out the online application. Official transcripts must be sent to the Office of Graduate Education directly from the issuing institution(s), or be received in sealed institutional envelopes if submitted with the application. The Office also accepts transcripts submitted through Interfolio.

International students may also be required to provide TOEFL or IELTS scores. See the Office of Graduate Education: International Students page for details.